[13 Dec 09] This idea was moronic.

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Postby Rhodesaw » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:58 pm

Octavian wrote:Just my two cents-- uh, very unlikely that whatever is shocking them is Michelle standing there. I'm too lazy to find the exact strip, but Brandi was the one who got Michelle thinking about Stan in a whole new light in the first place. I imagine she knew they'd had something going on.

She did, as per this strip, but the very fact that Stan said "on-and-off for over a year" without clarifying if they were "off" while he was dating Michelle could give her the wrong impression that he was cheating on her with one of her friends.

Edit: anyone know why it randomly throws another "[/url]" in at the end of the post sometimes?
Rhodesaw

Postby MudFlap33 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:21 pm

Rhodesaw wrote:
Octavian wrote:Just my two cents-- uh, very unlikely that whatever is shocking them is Michelle standing there. I'm too lazy to find the exact strip, but Brandi was the one who got Michelle thinking about Stan in a whole new light in the first place. I imagine she knew they'd had something going on.

She did, as per this strip, but the very fact that Stan said "on-and-off for over a year" without clarifying if they were "off" while he was dating Michelle could give her the wrong impression that he was cheating on her with one of her friends.

Edit: anyone know why it randomly throws another "[/url]" in at the end of the post sometimes?

I think Michelle makes some sense too because I would think that after her anorexia scare, all of her friends are treading *very* lightly around her. Brandi may well have wanted to keep her relationship with Stan quiet for Michelle's sake; whether this information would actually upset Michelle remains to be seen.
adamiani wrote:Hormones are the real unsung heroes of this series!
MudFlap33

Postby Michael Ezra » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:18 pm

Whether or not Michelle appears in this particular arc, I wouldn't mind seeing more of her. We got an indirect status update on her in "Her Private Chambers," when Penny said she was "eating, trying to convince us she's healthy, [and] still kinda mad at [Stan]." Apart from that, however, the only time we've seen her "in person" (as opposed to appearing in others' thought bubbles) since the end of "The Popsicle War" was when she was playing Banquo in "Final Curtain, First Kiss."

Michelle is one of those characters I had rather mixed feelings about for quite some time, earlier in the comic's progress. On the one hand, I felt genuinely sorry for her when Rich callously used her to get to Penny in "Uptown Girl," and I wish T had explored her feelings about that a little more than he did. (Yes, we saw she felt hurt, but it seemed odd that she wouldn't feel at least a little resentful toward Penny, who knew very well that Rich was sort-of-dating Michelle first.) On the other hand, I found Michelle's tendency to suck up reflexively to Penny, especially with regard to dissing Aggie when Penny herself wasn't doing so, very annoying and petty. I wanted to grab her shoulders (yes, just her shoulders, smart-alecs) and say, "Why are you the only one of Penny's friends doing this? Notice how Sara, Brandi, and Katy-Ann keep out of that silly, pointless rivalry, and how Penny doesn't think any less of them for it? When Aggie directly takes a shot, let Penny decide if and how to respond." Then there was the whole "boo hoo I hate my dad for pursuing his dream rather than making us wealthy like he used to" thing. "Sorry, Shell," I thought, "but it doesn't look to me like you've quite fallen below the poverty line."

I began to empathize more with Michelle around the time of "Behind Closed Doors," when she not only began laying off Aggie (who was more than capable of putting her own foot in her mouth, Penny-wise), but also began to fall for Stan to the extent she acted like someone she wasn't (an experienced sexpot) and blinded herself to Stan's actual feelings about relationships at the time. No, neither of those are wise or admirable things to do, but she at least had understandable reasons for doing so and, thinking back to my teenage years, I could relate to the whole "seeing in the other's feelings for you what you want to see, not what is" bit. It made her a more sympathetic character, often a heartbreaking one, particularly after the breakup in "Drama Queens" and its aftermath. Also, odd though it was considering her declining emotional and physical health, Michelle showed more self-assertion during that period (actually standing up to Stan and Penny!) than she had in the entire previous course of the comic. Too bad it was a decidedly unhealthy kind of self-assertion, but it did suggest to me that, once she got healthy, Michelle could be much more her own person than she's allowed herself to be.

Maybe she still can be that person. Which is why I'd like to see her in the comic directly again.
Michael Ezra

Postby Evil Ben » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:52 am

bunnyThor wrote:I'm not sure what would put such a look of shock on Penny's face, and a distracted squint on Brandi's face though. The only thing I can think of is if Rich suddenly came waltzing down the hall. Whatever Brandi is looking at, her tone of voice doesn't seem angry, shocked, or urgent, but Penny looks like she has just seen (or has been goosed by) a ghost.

What could it be?

1. The return of Rich
2. Gary McStabber got paroled
3. Karen transferred to their high school
4. Cyndi's up to something
5. Helen brought her dad's good friend Colt to school
6. Slaneesh has opened a chaos gate and is sending daemonettes through to conquer Belleville. Only Stan can vanquish them.
7. Xenu has opened a portal and has come to possess his new avatar, Xena. Only he brought his marching band along. Only Stan can vanquish him.
"It does what it's told." ~Peggy Dodson
Evil Ben

Postby Michael Ezra » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:58 am

Tempted to pick #5 for the dark humour, buuuut...I'm gonna go with #7, for obvious reasons.
Michael Ezra

Postby adamiani » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:42 pm

sun tzu wrote:I don't mind Scientology's origins half as much as its methods. It is one of the vilest organizations still active today, and I don't feel a need to "tolerate" it any more than I would feel the same for the Inquisition if it still existed.

"If"?
adamiani

Postby MeganKoumori » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:37 pm

Jacky-Ann is still no. 1 IMO, but Duane and Charlotte are giving them a run for their money in the "Cutest Couples" category.
Alice Macher wrote:I hereby found the new religion of MeganKoumorism. Bow down, ye faithful, and worship her!

MeganKoumori's Hunchback Fansite Here
MeganKoumori

Previous

Return to General Discussion