[2-28-11] I am WAY smexier than Penny.

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Postby dare » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:01 am

oddtail wrote:Then I guess it hit me. Did we ever (and I mean, ever) see Lisa be genuinely serious about something? The closest I remember is her talking to newly-lesbian Sara, but even there, she was amused-and-mocking.


She has been serious about not liking Aggie's guys and explaining why. I think there are other moments as well. Also, I think she's pretty serious now, although masking it with the usual Lisa-babble. She's getting Aggie to talk about something that was important for her and offering analysis.

Actually I think she's serious much of the time. It's just hard to tell with her, which I think is the way she wants it. Defenses. I really like her as a character, I'd probably like her as a person too although she would be a bit annoying at times.
From bad to worse in 0.2 seconds!
User avatar
dare
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:14 am
Location: Finland

Postby Cerky » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:35 am

T, it's been real crazy down here in Christchurch but you know sure how to make it all better for at least twenty minutes MWF. I've had the worst week, the worst birthday ever but I'll be damned if I ain't being P&A satisfied. :lol:


I think Aggie's trippin on the "SAFE? SAFE?" part because I mean really. This's been her arch-nemesis for yeears now, they've only gotten along for a short while and on top of that it's risking a LOT to kiss each other just for risk of their friendship, too! If Aggie didn't want it, it could have destroyed their friendship and if Penny decides later she doesn't want it, and Aggie still does (or vice versa).. well again, that puts a lot of strain between them that they might not be able to get past.

If it were Lisa instead of Penny, it'd be so much safer. Lisa's all about the casual, and it wouldn't have been nearly as big of a deal as it is between Penny and Aggie. Especially since they're both self-proclaimed straight girls, where Lisa doesn't care.



Back to the drawing tablet... :D
User avatar
Cerky
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:39 am
Location: Christchurch, NZ

Postby nymosy » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:14 am

ugh, even Lisa's CLOCK is smirking

also, if we're to believe it, Aggie has a ten-minute laughing fit over the idea that Lisa is sexier than Penny
User avatar
nymosy
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:29 am

Postby notahammer » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:15 am

Oh my fucking god, alright already--Lisa is hip and wacky and knows that an internet meme is--we get it. The constant meme-dropping makes it hard to read her character. It's just unpleasant.
notahammer
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:52 pm

Postby nymosy » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:20 am

i imagine lisa frantically googling her online handle when she's alone, hoping that one of her quips will be a Trope Namer or a new 4chan meme
User avatar
nymosy
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:29 am

Postby Pink Freud » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:42 am

oddtail wrote:Not strictly related to the specific strip, but...

...after this strip, I somehow magically went from not being annoyed by Lisa to being EXTREMELY annoyed by Lisa. I tried to figure out the exact reason, and didn't have much luck.

Then I guess it hit me. Did we ever (and I mean, ever) see Lisa be genuinely serious about something? The closest I remember is her talking to newly-lesbian Sara, but even there, she was amused-and-mocking.

I dunno. For some reason, after the last strip I figured that Lisa's role in the comic is only that of a clown. And a clown is only funny if he's a little serious inside. I mean, I could live with Lisa's attention whoring not being funny, it never really was :wink: but the last strip nails it - to my mind, she's officially trying too hard. And she has the audacity to be annoyed at being treated like... well, like who she is 100% of the time?

Gee, my first "hate a character" moment, and I've been reading P&A for so long. Do I get a prize?


Uhhh.... a lifetime supply of Rice-A-Roni?
Said he'd come to save the world from destruction and pain, but I said how can you save the world from itself?
User avatar
Pink Freud
 
Posts: 721
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:13 am
Location: here

Postby Alice Macher » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:02 am

Well, I still love Lisa, but here's what I don't get. Although she does tend to use snark and clowning as a way to fit in, and occasionally to take the edge off serious concern,* if my memory is correct she's never outright lied. And yet we seem to have a discrepancy between Lisa saying it's "Shrug. No big" that Aggie didn't want to do "casual kissing" with her, and her seriousness and pique in today's strip over basically the same thing.

So. Was Lisa lying, the previous fall, when she claimed the kiss would've just been for fun and that she didn't care that Aggie wasn't into it? Was Aggie in fact right when, earlier in that same argument, she accused Lisa of having all along "just been waiting to plant one" on her, i.e. that Lisa's friendship was concealing actual romantic interest?**

Or is it that Lisa meant exactly what she said--"No big"--at the time, but in the interim her feelings for Aggie have moved from friendship to something more, just as Aggie's and Penny's feelings for each other have? In short, does Lisa now see Penny as a rival not just for Aggie's attention (in the general "pay attention to me" sense), but for Aggie's love?

DUN DUN DUNNNN As grains of sand in an hourglass, so are the days... :D


* But keep in mind what T has said at least once, that she isn't hiding some deep-down unhappiness and angst, that she generally acts upbeat because she generally is.

** Like with you and Marshall, huh, Aggie? Pot, kettle etc.



Edited to add: Another thing that makes Lisa's feelings about the Great Agenny Kiss hard to pin down is the fact that her expression in the last panel, besides being intentionally cartoonish, could mean serious romantic jealousy ("Why does she want Penny when she could have me?") or merely offence-taking ("I am too hotter than Penny!" or even "I don't like being laughed at."). That Aggie's laughter in the last three panels is, like Lisa's expression, deliberately exaggerated (and the passage of time on the clock is a deliberate exaggeration too, BTW) clouds things more.
Last edited by Alice Macher on Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
User avatar
Alice Macher
 
Posts: 4719
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:57 pm
Location: Toronto

Postby sun tzu » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:17 am

Alice Macher wrote:Well, I still love Lisa, but here's what I don't get. Although she does tend to use snark and clowning as a way to fit in, and occasionally to take the edge off serious concern,* if my memory is correct she's never outright lied. And yet we seem to have a discrepancy between Lisa saying it's "Shrug. No big" that Aggie didn't want to do "casual kissing" with her, and her seriousness and pique in today's strip over basically the same thing.

So. Was Lisa lying, the previous fall, when she claimed the kiss would've just been for fun and that she didn't care that Aggie wasn't into it? Was Aggie in fact right when, earlier in that same argument, she accused Lisa of having all along "just been waiting to plant one" on her, i.e. that Lisa's friendship was concealing actual romantic interest?**

Or is it that Lisa meant exactly what she said--"No big"--at the time, but in the interim her feelings for Aggie have moved from friendship to something more, just as Aggie's and Penny's feelings for each other have? In short, does Lisa now see Penny as a rival not just for Aggie's attention (in the general "pay attention to me" sense), but for Aggie's love?

DUN DUN DUNNNN As grains of sand in an hourglass, so are the days... :D


* But keep in mind what T has said at least once, that she isn't hiding some deep-down unhappiness and angst, that she generally acts upbeat because she generally is.

** Like with you and Marshall, huh, Aggie? Pot, kettle etc.


Possibly. Near as I can tell, Aggie is one of the few things in the world that can make Lisa really care, rather than "play at caring". That doesn't have to be romantic nor sexual, though - it's entirely possible that Lisa's meaningful connection to Aggie is platonic, and Lisa simply has a level of mental flexibility where she could switch to non-platonic if it was convenient (which, as she discovered, it wasn't).
User avatar
sun tzu
 
Posts: 2032
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:16 pm

Postby Kamino Neko » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:57 am

dianekikiula wrote:I'm reading Aggie's shirt as "LIV GRN" or in real terms, "Live green" - which makes perfect sense for her to be wearing.


Oh, thank you...you've just explained showler's riff on my post - I could neither figure out what it meant nor how it connected to my comment on Lisa's shirt. Now I feel dumb, since both have just clicked thanks to you. >_>
Can you hear me boy? Your devil is here!

Valerie wrote:You're in my harem, right? :oops:
User avatar
Kamino Neko
 
Posts: 2090
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:26 pm

Postby sentora » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:13 am

Have you ever had a friend swooning so hard on cloud 9, that it's impossible for them to take anything you say seriously? Especially about the person they're lovedrunk on? That's the impression I get from Lisa's reaction rather than jealousy. Doesn't help that she looks like she's doing a Marge grunt either.

Now I could be wrong about her being a little miffed and jealous, but I think she'd look a little less comical or actually upset if that was the case. We've seen sad and reflective Lisa before, as well as angry, and she's as expressive with those emotions as she is with her clowning.
Promise tomorrow to endure today.
User avatar
sentora
 
Posts: 749
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:06 am

Postby dare » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:42 am

Alice Macher wrote:Well, I still love Lisa, but here's what I don't get. Although she does tend to use snark and clowning as a way to fit in, and occasionally to take the edge off serious concern,* if my memory is correct she's never outright lied. And yet we seem to have a discrepancy between Lisa saying it's "Shrug. No big" that Aggie didn't want to do "casual kissing" with her, and her seriousness and pique in today's strip over basically the same thing.


My read on Lisa right now is that she's being serious because she realizes that Aggie kissing Penny wasn't casual. She's trying to help Aggie understand her own actions, being a friend with no ulterior motives. I don't see her being jealous, I think she wants the best for her friend and she's trying to offer communication and analysis, like she often does. However Aggie's not communicating right now, she's just being hysterical, and this is annoying to Lisa.
From bad to worse in 0.2 seconds!
User avatar
dare
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:14 am
Location: Finland

Postby adamiani » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:07 am

Lisa's miffed because she's discovered her secret power: Lisa kissing girls and makes them gay, but only for others.

It's a terrible responsibility she must use only for good and never for evil!
User avatar
adamiani
 
Posts: 1051
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:33 am

Postby Alice Macher » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:09 am

dare wrote:I don't see her being jealous, I think she wants the best for her friend and she's trying to offer communication and analysis, like she often does. However Aggie's not communicating right now, she's just being hysterical, and this is annoying to Lisa.


But if Lisa's just trying to help Aggie understand, with no ulterior motives, wouldn't she herself react to Aggie's hysterical laughter with understanding, rather than annoyance? (Granting, of course, that she's not a professional therapist.) Because Aggie, through her giddiness, which should be understandable from a teenage girl who's recently had her first kiss, even without the additional sexual questioning and prior Penny-Aggie history baggage, is communicating right now. Just not in words (except for "Safe? Safe?", which is significant in itself). You'd think Lisa would then ignore the implied slight to her sexiness--since, as best friends, they've exchanged snark before--and note/wait out the hysteria without getting all impatient and annoyed. If her only interest is in helping Aggie process her feelings for Penny, that is.
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
User avatar
Alice Macher
 
Posts: 4719
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:57 pm
Location: Toronto

Postby showler » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:13 am

She could be annoyed because 1) she's trying to be serious; and 2) she has a little pride and laughing that hard at her "sexiness" offended it a little bit.
User avatar
showler
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:37 am

Postby dare » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:19 am

Alice Macher wrote:But if Lisa's just trying to help Aggie understand, with no ulterior motives, wouldn't she herself react to Aggie's hysterical laughter with understanding, rather than annoyance? Because Aggie, through her giddiness, which should be understandable from a teenage girl who's recently had her first kiss, even without the additional sexual questioning and prior Penny-Aggie history baggage, is communicating right now. Just not in words (except for "Safe? Safe?", which is significant in itself). You'd think Lisa would then ignore the implied slight to her sexiness--since, as best friends, they've exchanged snark before--and note/wait out the hysteria without getting all impatient and annoyed. [url]If[/url] her only interest is in helping Aggie process her feelings for Penny, that is.


You may well be right about this. However, even though Aggie is clearly expressing some of what she feels by laughing like a madwoman, I think Lisa wants her to talk with her, not just go into hysterics. Lisa is big on talking. Also, I don't think she's feels she's entirely in on the joke.

Much of this is wishful thinking on my part. I like Lisa a lot and I'd hate for her to be actually jealous or hurt. I sort of hope that even if she is attracted to Aggie she'd ... I don't know, be philosophically poly about it or something?
From bad to worse in 0.2 seconds!
User avatar
dare
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:14 am
Location: Finland

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

cron