[2-28-11] I am WAY smexier than Penny.

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Postby Alice Macher » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:16 am

Spudnuts wrote:I think Lisa sees herself as a bigger "threat" to Aggie due to Aggie feeling that kissing her would not feel right. What she's not seeing is that not only does Aggie find Penny attractive, Aggie is in love with Penny. Kissing Lisa would be a lark, something done for fun (and some good old fashioned toe curling), but kissing Penny is serious (for lack of a better word). Penny is more dangerous because Aggie has a lot more to lose.

I hate to be the sort who replies with just "this," but... THIS. :idea: :idea: :idea:
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby undefinedlust » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:18 am

Spudnuts wrote:
undefinedlust wrote:Meaty Yogurt by Megan Gedris reference

<Threadjack>
Love your avatar. (Don't be shy, Daria. Show me your boobs.)
</Threadjack>

groovy... Daria is definitely my primary fandom (a shockingly active one for a show that has been off the air so long)

Actually there is a lot of crossover among Daria and P&A fans... but that is an entirely new thread
I cannot guarantee I was sober at the time of posting this.
undefinedlust

Postby darklion » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:23 am

Man, I keep looking at the comic, and it feels almost like the Beatles are staring in the window. It's kinda creepy :shock: :lol:
darklion

Postby Spudnuts » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:26 am

darklion wrote:Man, I keep looking at the comic, and it feels almost like the Beatles are staring in the window. It's kinda creepy :shock: :lol:

She came in through the bathroom window!
*thrash around the floor like Joe Cocker on elephant tranquilizers*
"The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together" - Carl Sagan
Spudnuts

Postby darklion » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:27 am

Spudnuts wrote:
darklion wrote:Man, I keep looking at the comic, and it feels almost like the Beatles are staring in the window. It's kinda creepy :shock: :lol:

She came in through the bathroom window!
*thrash around the floor like Joe Cocker on elephant tranquilizers*

AHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH :lol:
darklion

Re: [2-28-11] I am WAY smexier than Penny.

Postby brasca » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:28 am

Valerie wrote:Poor Lisa. Is she actually annoyed or just playing a part?
Edit: You guys paying attention to the clock? I'm glad to see that Aggie's laughing for basically like ten minutes. :P

No one can see her face except us readers so I'd say she's actually annoyed.

I'm surprised Aggie would confide her kiss with Lisa since she'd never hear the end of it from her.
brasca

Postby greenglowinggoo » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:43 am

brasca wrote:
Edit: You guys paying attention to the clock? I'm glad to see that Aggie's laughing for basically like ten minutes. :P

I'm surprised Aggie would confide her kiss with Lisa since she'd never hear the end of it from her.

I dunno, she jokes a lot, and can be a little insensitive, but she's pretty nonjudgmental. Plus she's Aggie's other best friend.

I'm curious what the current relationship between Lisa and Penny is. We see them hanging out together through Aggie a lot. They seem to get along, but I dunno if that's just because Aggie's there.
greenglowinggoo

Postby IS_Wolf » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:55 am

flintyoungblood wrote:Yes! this is perfect! Now if we can get a reaction shot from Penny talking this over with Sara (preferably with Sara desperately trying not to scream "Told you so!" at the top of her lungs) this will round everything out nicely. After that by all means lets see what the supporting stars are up to.

I'm guessing big Anime eyes with big sparkling stars in them, trying to tone down her glee.
IS_Wolf

Postby undefinedlust » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:08 am

IS_Wolf wrote:
flintyoungblood wrote:Yes! this is perfect! Now if we can get a reaction shot from Penny talking this over with Sara (preferably with Sara desperately trying not to scream "Told you so!" at the top of her lungs) this will round everything out nicely. After that by all means lets see what the supporting stars are up to.

I'm guessing big Anime eyes with big sparkling stars in them, trying to tone down her glee.

I'm actually guessing Penny is more scared, nervous and insecure than Aggie at this point...
I cannot guarantee I was sober at the time of posting this.
undefinedlust

Postby someone » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:02 am

About the "LIV GRN" shirt: it's very Aggyish to shop there.
someone

Postby Heavensrun » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:13 am

brasca wrote:

Why does this surprise anybody, honestly? Lisa's Aggie's best friend. Of -course- she's the first one Aggie told. Just like I"m certain Penny talked to Sara about it at her first convenience.
Heavensrun

Postby DudeMyDadOwnsADealership » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:15 am

Ollie wrote:That does help. :)

Also, the significance of "safe?" "SAFE?," on top of Lisa's possible jealousy and all, may also having something to do with how it's a word
she's well acquainted with in regards to her own love life...A fact she may be secretly well aware of and self-conscious about.

Examples:

* She's big on celebrity crushes, and that "There's no crush as romantic as a hopeless crush" remark back at the switch game may have been a lot more sincere that it's context would suggest.

* When Aggie confronted her about having problems with Marshall and Darren, she dropped the snarker act and told her about what she didn't like about them and how Aggie deserved so much better. Make a very cynical spin of what Lisa felt was so bad about them, and it comes out as that they weren't perfect. Marshall's intimacy issues and Darren's being a spazz are hardly uncommon flaws to experience with boyfriends, but the disappointment seemed to bother Lisa.

* T.'s mentioned that off-panel, Lisa has been dating but never let anything get serious. Much earlier, he also said that she's pretty prone to keeping attention away from owning up to her own flaws.

* Lisa has shown she is one of the more perceptive characters, right up there with Penny and Jack, despite preferring to play the clown and smart-aleck sidekick. It would make sense that she would be well aware of how short of her fantasies real serious romantic relationship would fall...

* A while before the current arc, she personally witnessed Katy-Ann, in a way, make a romantic venture involving a six pack of expired beer (also note Lisa's reaction to being asked if she ever wondered that, deep down inside, she may not be as nice a person as on the surface) Now Aggie has topped that venture....
CDEDBD Ducks
DudeMyDadOwnsADealership

Postby sun tzu » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:22 am

Huh. Lisa's comedic feet have been getting stepped on a lot lately, haven't they?
I now have this mental age of Lisa showing up one day and shooting up the school with a bubble gun. "Who's laughing now?!"
sun tzu

Postby darklion » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:09 am

DudeMyDadOwnsADealership wrote:
Ollie wrote:That does help. :)

Also, the significance of "safe?" "SAFE?," on top of Lisa's possible jealousy and all, may also having something to do with how it's a word
she's well acquainted with in regards to her own love life...A fact she may be secretly well aware of and self-conscious about.

Examples:

* She's big on celebrity crushes, and that "There's no crush as romantic as a hopeless crush" remark back at the switch game may have been a lot more sincere that it's context would suggest.

* When Aggie confronted her about having problems with Marshall and Darren, she dropped the snarker act and told her about what she didn't like about them and how Aggie deserved so much better. Make a very cynical spin of what Lisa felt was so bad about them, and it comes out as that they weren't perfect. Marshall's intimacy issues and Darren's being a spazz are hardly uncommon flaws to experience with boyfriends, but the disappointment seemed to bother Lisa.

* T.'s mentioned that off-panel, Lisa has been dating but never let anything get serious. Much earlier, he also said that she's pretty prone to keeping attention away from owning up to her own flaws.

* Lisa has shown she is one of the more perceptive characters, right up there with Penny and Jack, despite preferring to play the clown and smart-aleck sidekick. It would make sense that she would be well aware of how short of her fantasies real serious romantic relationship would fall...

* A while before the current arc, she personally witnessed Katy-Ann, in a way, make a romantic venture involving a six pack of expired beer (also note Lisa's reaction to being asked if she ever wondered that, deep down inside, she may not be as nice a person as on the surface) Now Aggie has topped that venture....

Good summary. That allows me to say what's been gestating in my mind for a while here...

This all seems to reflect deep insecurities about what others think about her. Lisa's afraid that her true personality would frighten away her friends, so she keeps it hidden behind a wall of superficial snark. Her attitude towards Aggie's boy-interests would suggest that she holds them to unreasonably high standards. She's afraid that others would hold her to the same sort of standards, and that she'd fail to me them. She's become Aggie's friend in particular because Aggie comes close to meeting her standards, but we havn't seen her be emotionally intimate the way close friends usually are. It's possible that her sexuality is obscured/repressed in her own mind by this--she won't allow herself to feel attracted to someone because of fear of rejection.

Lisa might feel threatened by Penny because that sort of emotional connection has a real chance of happening between Penny and Aggie. (I'd argue that Penny is already emotionally closer to Aggie than Lisa is.) We'll soon see whether we'll delve deeper into Lisa's character or whether she'll remain on the sidelines, more or less.
darklion

Postby oddtail » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:49 am

Not strictly related to the specific strip, but...

...after this strip, I somehow magically went from not being annoyed by Lisa to being EXTREMELY annoyed by Lisa. I tried to figure out the exact reason, and didn't have much luck.

Then I guess it hit me. Did we ever (and I mean, ever) see Lisa be genuinely serious about something? The closest I remember is her talking to newly-lesbian Sara, but even there, she was amused-and-mocking.

I dunno. For some reason, after the last strip I figured that Lisa's role in the comic is only that of a clown. And a clown is only funny if he's a little serious inside. I mean, I could live with Lisa's attention whoring not being funny, it never really was :wink: but the last strip nails it - to my mind, she's officially trying too hard. And she has the audacity to be annoyed at being treated like... well, like who she is 100% of the time?

Gee, my first "hate a character" moment, and I've been reading P&A for so long. Do I get a prize?
oddtail

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion