[2-28-11] I am WAY smexier than Penny.

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Postby Sri » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:08 pm

sentora wrote:
mindstalk wrote:Was Dawson's Creek the first mainstream US TV with gay male kiss? Had an explicit atheist right in the premiere, too, which kept me from turning it off.

I'm not quite sure if it was. I do remember some other show or reality tv event that made a huge deal out of a gay couple at the time. I almost want to say Will and Grace. I almost want to count Queer as Folk but it might be disqualified since it was cable. "

I snipped there in case you can't tell. First gay kiss on TV was actually a real kiss instead of drama. Two guys in the crowd talking to Al Roker outside the Today Show. One of them starts to talk into the microphone and then turns to kiss his boyfriend. Will and Grace did an episode not too long later referencing it but played it for laughs with Will kissing Jack. Dawson's Creek was the first scripted TV show to feature a romantic guy on guy kiss without cutting away.
If men had wings and bore black feathers few of them would be clever enough to be crows. - Henry Beecher
Sri

Postby Shadrach » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:30 pm

Dawson's Creek holds that honour in terms of live-action scripted TV (episode "True Love," May 24, 2000); however, the pilot of the animated sitcom Mission Hill predated this by several months (September 24, 1999). It's been disputed, however, whether even that was the first scripted romantic man/man kiss on TV. I've seen claims for the second-season Simpsons episode "Simpson and Delilah" (October 18, 1990), in which Homer's assistant Karl kisses him on the lips, although that would've been a "one-way" romantic kiss, since Homer's straight. The Mission Hill kiss in the pilot (and subsequently, IIRC) was, however, mutually romantic, between the older gay couple Gus and Wally. (The series in fact won a GLAAD award for its positive, non-stereotypical portrayal of a gay relationship.)
isobel wrote:A gold star, ten internets and a whole plate of cookies for Shadrach.

Sassy-fras wrote:*adds a "Team Shadrach" hat to her ensemble* ^__^
Shadrach

Postby sentora » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:52 pm

Shadrach wrote:Dawson's Creek holds that honour in terms of live-action scripted TV (episode "True Love," May 24, 2000); however, the pilot of the animated sitcom Mission Hill predated this by several months (September 24, 1999). It's been disputed, however, whether even that was the first scripted romantic man/man kiss on TV. I've seen claims for the second-season Simpsons episode "Simpson and Delilah" (October 18, 1990), in which Homer's assistant Karl kisses him on the lips, although that would've been a "one-way" romantic kiss, since Homer's straight. The Mission Hill kiss in the pilot (and subsequently, IIRC) was, however, mutually romantic, between the older gay couple Gus and Wally. (The series in fact won a GLAAD award for its positive, non-stereotypical portrayal of a gay relationship.)

They were the first gay couple I remember enjoying on tv, since I refused to watch Dawson's Creek. My friend and I still quote and laugh about the cheap condoms line.
Promise tomorrow to endure today.
sentora

Postby Shadrach » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:05 am

sentora wrote:They were the first gay couple I remember enjoying on tv, since I refused to watch Dawson's Creek. My friend and I still quote and laugh about the cheap condoms line.

I don't remember that bit, but I do fondly remember the Gus-and-Wally centered episode "Plan 9 from Mission Hill," which not only cleverly satirized the best (The Day the Earth Stood Still) and "worst" (Plan 9 from Outer Space, Robot Monster) of fifties SF film, but was one of the most genuinely touching half hours of TV I've ever watched. Bizarre as those two characters were, they made for a much more true-to-life and heartfelt portrayal of a gay male couple than did Will and...that police officer dude of Will and Grace, or even David and Keith of Six Feet Under. (I admit to never having caught an episode of Queer as Folk, so I don't have any basis for comparison with Mission Hill.)
isobel wrote:A gold star, ten internets and a whole plate of cookies for Shadrach.

Sassy-fras wrote:*adds a "Team Shadrach" hat to her ensemble* ^__^
Shadrach

Postby Azrael44 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:14 am

Erm, are we not counting the Dr. Jon Fielding(Billy Campbell) and Michael Tolliver(Marcus D'Amico) kiss from the Tales of the City miniseries from 1994?
"A friend is one who stabs you in the front"~ O. Wilde

Politics: n. pl. From the Gk "polus" meaning many and the OE "ticia" meaning bloodsucking insect.
Azrael44

Location: The dark side of the moon, where the red fern grows

Postby Freemage » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:46 am

Azrael44 wrote:Erm, are we not counting the Dr. Jon Fielding(Billy Campbell) and Michael Tolliver(Marcus D'Amico) kiss from the Tales of the City miniseries from 1994?

Arguably, a miniseries has more freedom to break the rules than a prime-time scripted television show, which is by definition hoping to retain enough of its audience to be picked up for multiple seasons.
T. Campbell (yeah, HIM) wrote:If Freemage did not exist, it might have been necessary to invent him.

dianekikiula wrote:My sig is jealous of your sig now. :P
Valerie wrote:
I'm leaving Paps for you.
Freemage, do you have a fanclub yet, and can I please join?
Freemage

Postby MudFlap33 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:09 am

showler wrote:Site's been slow for me all evening. I wonder if Gail Simone and things like being mentioned on AfterEllen.com have drive up the traffic considerably?

I'd love to see P&A mentioned on AfterEllen, but my search didn't yield anything recent. Mind sharing the link?
adamiani wrote:Hormones are the real unsung heroes of this series!
MudFlap33

Postby showler » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:58 am

It was a "Morning Brew" segment: http://www.afterellen.com/column/mornin ... 2011-02-23

Good mention complete with a copy of the comic itself that should have gotten a lot of attention.

I also added it to a list of webcomics somebody was compiling, but that list is old and rarely updated apparently.
showler

Postby Auspex » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:30 am

retrophrenologist wrote:You've all seen that today's strip showed up on Gail Simone's tumblr, right?

How did I miss that? :)
I have nightmares of Joss Whedon killing everyone I love ...
Auspex

Postby Mr_Rose » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:50 am

Harkel Tu wrote:Anyways... the significance of the nekkid Lisa in penny's dream still eludes us... but T never does anything without purpose... I think at least. We shall see...
Oh, truly so...but you forget that "purpose" can include deception... :twisted:
Mr_Rose

Postby MudFlap33 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:14 pm

showler wrote:It was a "Morning Brew" segment: http://www.afterellen.com/column/mornin ... 2011-02-23

Good mention complete with a copy of the comic itself that should have gotten a lot of attention.

I also added it to a list of webcomics somebody was compiling, but that list is old and rarely updated apparently.

Thanks!!
adamiani wrote:Hormones are the real unsung heroes of this series!
MudFlap33

Postby Alice Macher » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:22 pm

Five hours until the next update... Not enough time to bother running a poll on this, but still, I wonder what we'll see?

Penny having a conversation with Sara about The Kiss, to parallel/contrast the one Aggie just had with Lisa? Or would that be too predictable for T?

Marshall doing...something, maybe speaking for the first time since "The Popsicle War?"

Sara moving closer to "the talk" with Daphne?

Jack brooding more about whether he "deserves" Katy-Ann?

Charisma rocking back and forth compulsively with an eerie grin while thinking, "If I can't have you, Nicky..." (Okay, probably not that one.)

Ooh the suspense...
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby Ray Radlein » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:25 pm

Alice Macher wrote:Another thought on the poly angle: T has, to be sure, written a healthy, long-lasting poly relationship in Fans. But the ages and social independence of Rikk, Rumy and Ally, as well as the nature of the world they live in, are different from those of Penny, Aggie and Lisa, even if the latter were inclined to fall in love with each other. Their world is much more like our world than that of Fans. And in our world, the two-partner same-sex relationship has had a big enough hurdle to overcome in terms of social acceptance as it is, and it's still far ahead of the poly relationship (same-sex or bi) in that respect. Many people in Western society still have little to no idea that polyamory even exists, and of those who do, many associate it with alleged free-for-all hippie orgies in the commune, with the "swinger" subculture, or with just plain sleeping around. (Even in the more open-minded America of Fans, the Oberfs have faced obstacles in having their relationship recognized legally and socially.) So I don't see T going that route in P&A and making it true to that world.

More to the point, long-term poly relationships are much more common in Fandom than in the real world (and especially more than in suburban high schools, of course).

That was one thing that cropped up when the situation first arose in Faans! -- the readers who had real ties to old-school, hardcore fanzines-and-conrunning Fandom took it a lot more in stride than most readers, because most of us know at least one or two stable poly triads in Fandom now (I can think of an MMF and an MFF with whom I am personally acquainted right off the top of my head, and I am but an egg in fanzine Fandom), to say nothing of some of the other complex arrangements that existed among folks now long departed.
Ray Radlein

Postby Mec » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:21 pm

Next arc: based on Meat Loaf's epic first album "Bat Out of Hell".

Cover picture and title song: Fred, bulked up, oiled down, awesome blond hair, blasting that superbike out of the cemetery against a sky of blood. And he's proving the Riemann Hypothesis while he's doing it. (That last part is not on the album, it's just fan service. For me.)

After that, a duet of "You Took the Words Right Out of My Mouth" with Penny and Aggie.

'Heaven can Wait" by Jack.

"All Revved Up With No Place To Go" by Brandi.

"Two out of Three Ain't Bad" by Stan.

"Paradise by the Dashboard Light" by ... Sara and Daphne (?)

"For Crying Out Loud" by ... Charisma (?)

(Why, yes, I do enjoy melodrama.)
"The fair Ophelia! -- Nymph, in thy orisons be all my sins remembered."
Mec

Postby undefinedlust » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:27 pm

Mec wrote:Next arc: based on Meat Loaf's epic first album "Bat Out of Hell".

Cover picture and title song: Fred, bulked up, oiled down, awesome blond hair, blasting that superbike out of the cemetery against a sky of blood. And he's proving the Riemann Hypothesis while he's doing it. (That last part is not on the album, it's just fan service. For me.)

After that, a duet of "You Took the Words Right Out of My Mouth" with Penny and Aggie.

'Heaven can Wait" by Jack.

"All Revved Up With No Place To Go" by Brandi.

"Two out of Three Ain't Bad" by Stan.

"Paradise by the Dashboard Light" by ... Sara and Daphne (?)

"For Crying Out Loud" by ... Charisma (?)

(Why, yes, I do enjoy melodrama.)

After that a Meatloaf return in the form of the " a geezer from the freezer like a bat out of hell" scene, with Nick as Dr. F to fit the heads hint from the year opener!! :twisted:
I cannot guarantee I was sober at the time of posting this.
undefinedlust

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion